The Kyle & Jackie O Show won the top award of Best On-Air Team last night at the Australian Commercial Radio Awards (ACRAs) at Jupiters Casino on the Gold Coast which saw Southern Cross Austereo enjoy a successful evening, taking out over half the total awards.
Kyle & Jackie O last clinched the award in 2006 and 2007, whilst Hamish & Andy owned it for three years in 2008, 2009 and 2010 – this year’s win gives the Today Network six years continual as frontrunner.
Kyle & Jackie O said, ““Thanks to everyone that voted, and everyone that listens to our show. We’re still in love with radio, and each other… well Jackie is still playing hard to get, but after 10 years I’m wearing her down.”
Southern Cross Austereo won 42 awards out of a possible 82 overall, making it the most successful metro and regional radio network in Australia. The company had a strong presence at the ACRAs with almost a third of the thousand strong crowd hailing from the recently merged business.
Jules Lund had a fantastic win as Best Newcomer for his role on Today Network’s Fifi & Jules and Triple M Sydney’s Dan Ginnane won the Brian White Memorial award for sustained achievement across news, current affairs, entertainment and sports reporting. Triple M Sydney was also recognised for its incredible Legends of Origin event that saw almost half a million dollars raised for QLD flood relief.
Highlights for Southern Cross Austereo at the ACRAs included:
- Best On-Air Team - The Kyle & Jackie O Show, Today Network
- Best Newcomer – Jules Lund, Fifi & Jules, Today Network
- Best Station Promotion – Hamish & Andy, The Thank You Tour, Today Network
- Best Music Director – Alex Abela - 2Day FM, Sydney
- Best Community Service Project – Triple M’s Legends of Origin, Sydney
- Best Music Presenter – Tim Lee, Fox FM, Melbourne
- Best Content Director – Derek Bargwanna, 2Day FM Sydney
- Best Show Producer – Gemma O’Neill, 2Day FM Sydney
- Brian White Memorial – Daniel Ginnane, Triple M Sydney
The Kyle & Jackie O Show has been the number one breakfast show in Sydney for over four years and attracts over one million listeners nationally for its nightly Hour of Power. The past year has seen the show travel to the UK for the Royal Wedding, embark on its own Amazing Race, and showcase the good, bad and the ugly on its series of Behind the Scenes episodes.